Sunday September 27
Today's service is available on the worship service tab on the website
The service text is also available on the worship service text tab
Monday September 21
Worship service text can be found in the worship service text tab
Monday September 21
The posting of September 13 indicated the Nominating committee was looking for 3 new council positions. That number should read 5 new council positions.
Thursday September 17
Pastor Brian Falkenhalt tentative return date to Calvary has been moved out from September 27
to October 4.
The video service for Sunday September 13 is now available on this website and can be accessed using the sermon tab.
For the next 3 weeks video services are hoped to be in a similar format and available several days after the live Sunday service date.
Here is the link to the Saint James Lutheran Church in Winnipeg. We have worshiped with Pastor Richard Beinert in recent weeks. These services may be available closer to a Sunday timeline.
Monday Sept 14
The video service scheduled for this week (Sunday September 13) is unavailable due to technical difficulties. The Lutheran Church Canada service for this week The 15th Sunday after Pentecost has be posted on the worship sermon text tab of this website.
Sunday Sept 13 2020
Calvary Council Update
- The annual congregational meeting has been tentatively set for the second Sunday in November. At this point, we cannot have a meeting with more than 50 people (indoors). Council will be reviewing our options for holding our meeting at our next council meeting and update members after that.
- The Call Committee has resumed the work of calling a pastor to Calvary. We have received a new slate of candidates from Lutheran Church Canada. The committee will be meeting on Tuesday, September 22nd with a goal of making a short list with a recommendation for our next Call to pass along to council and then determine how and when we can hold a congregational call meeting.
Nominations for Calvary Church Council (5 required)
If you are interested
- please contact Sue Kajmowicz at (807) 624 8680 for more information.
-leave your email address, and nomination forms will be provided
Requirements and duties
- CLC communicant member in good standing (approved by pastor or delegate)
- 18 years of age or older
- Willingness to volunteer time and talents
- No more than 30% of council members can be directly related to each other
Sunday September 13
Calvary is returning to in-person worship services this Sunday September 13th at 8:30am. These services will be following Thunder Bay District Health Unit guidelines regarding Covid 19. As a result seating is limited, and health protocols are required.
We are thankful to the volunteers who have committed to ushering and cleaning to make this possible
We are thankful to God for this service in His house.
In person services at Calvary are as follows
Sunday, September 13th 8:30am – Pastor Dan Repo
Sunday, September 20th 8:30am – Pastor Keith Blom
Sunday, September 27th 8:30am – Pastor Brian
Falkenholt (tentative return to Calvary)
Note: Pastor Brian Falkenholt will be conducting in person services at Christ Lutheran beginning September 13th.
The Christ Lutheran services for this period will be recorded and made available on the Calvary’s church's website, and members Facebook page as soon as possible, following each service
We look forward to seeing you when the time is right for you to join us.
If there is anything that we can do for you, please call the church office at 623 8735 and leave a message
Sunday September 6
Here is the service for Sunday, September 6.
While Pastor Brian recovers from surgery we will be joining Pastor Richard Beinert at Saint James Lutheran Church in Winnipeg Manitoba for today's service
Note: Tentative Worship Reopening is on Sunday September 13th at 8:30. Please contact the church office 623-8735 for more information
CALVARY LUTHERAN CHURCH
IN PERSON WORSHIP SERVICE PROTOCOLS DURING COVID-19
- Signing Up for Worship Service
Members wishing to attend worship service must call or email the church office to sign up for a spot. This is due to the fact that capacity is limited to ensure we have proper physical distancing in the sanctuary and also allows for a list to be made to support contact tracing.
- Each week, a call (you can leave a voicemail) or email must be received no later than 11am on Thursday for the upcoming Sunday
- You will receive confirmation of your spot(s) either by phone or email. Families in the same household or 10-person social bubble can sit together
- If the current Sunday worship service is full, those who do not get a spot would receive a spot for the following Sunday, should they want it
- A phone call or email to reserve a spot must be made each week for the upcoming Sunday
- Reservations for spots start Sunday at 12pm for the following Sunday each week
- The church office number is: 623-8735
- The church office email is: email@example.com
- Arriving at Calvary for Worship Service
When arriving at Calvary for worship service, there will be volunteers and signage to help guide you through the process of entering the church. The following will take place:
- You will be asked to confirm that you have not had any Covid-19 symptoms, contact with others who might have been exposed to Covid-19 or travel history that requires self-quarantine by reading and acknowledging the posted signage
- The church will open up 20 minutes prior to service to allow for enough time to get everyone in safely practicing the appropriate physical distancing
- Use of hand sanitizer (provided) is mandatory upon entry
- Ushers will ensure that your entry into and out of the sanctuary takes place safely. You will be brought to your seat and must sit where the usher seats you
- Facemasks or Face Coverings
Facemasks or face coverings must be worn at all times while inside the church building with the following exceptions:
- Children under two years of age
- Individuals with medical conditions rendering them unable to safely wear a mask, including breathing difficulties, cognitive difficulties, hearing or communication difficulties
- Individuals who cannot wear or are unable to apply or remove a mask without assistance, including those who are accommodated under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) or who have protections under the Ontario Human Rights Code
- Changes to Worship Service and Fellowship
As we resume in person worship, there will be several changes to how we practiced worship and fellowship prior to Covid-19. These changes are:
- Once you have been seated by the usher, you must remain in your seat for the entirety of the service unless you need to use the washroom. There will be volunteers each Sunday to disinfect the washrooms in use between each person that needs to use one
- The screens in the sanctuary will be the primary form of following the worship service with limited large-print sheets available for those who require large-font print
- There will be no singing by the congregation as recommended by public health. Recorded music and/or soloists are being considered in place of congregational singing
- There will be no communion. Pastor Brian is looking at various options and will make a decision on when this might be available based on a safe way to do so
- Offering plates will be set up at the entry of the sanctuary for those who use envelopes for offerings. A reminder that monthly direct withdrawals and electronic giving directly from your online bank account are also available
- The windows in the sanctuary will be open to assist with fresh air flow. Keep this in mind should you require a sweater or jacket
- There will be no fellowship time after the worship service is over. Ushers will escort you out of the building ensuring proper physical distancing is in place. Once outside the church building, it is your option should you choose to safely visit with others
September 1, 2020
CALVARY LUTHERAN CHURCH
REOPENING FOR WORSHIP SERVICES SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 13TH AT 8:30AM
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ;
This letter is to confirm we will be reopening for Sunday worship services on Sunday, September 13th for 8:30am worship services. Our reopening team has been at work preparing the building and sanctuary along with coordinating volunteers to ensure we can conduct worship services while following public health policies.
Included with this letter is the same document that went out with the last letter at the beginning of August: In Person Worship Service Protocols During COVID-19. Please refer to this document for directions on signing up for worship service to preparing for arrival on Sunday morning and changes to our worship services.
While Pastor Brian continues to recover from his knee surgery and ease back into things, we have the following guest pastors leading our worship services:
Sunday, September 13th 8:30am – Pastor Dan Repo
Sunday, September 20th 8:30am – Pastor Keith Blom
Sunday, September 27th 8:30am – Pastor Brian Falkenholt (tentative return to Calvary)
If you have any additional questions for council, please reach out to the office by phone – 623-8735 – and leave a message or send an email - firstname.lastname@example.org – (Attention: Council).
In His Service,
Sunday August 30
Sunday August 23
We are joining Pastor Richard Beinert at Saint James Lutheran Church in Winnipeg Manitoba for today's service
Sunday August 16
Sunday August 9
Sunday August 2
Sunday July 26
Sunday July 19
Sunday July 12
Sunday July 5
Sunday June 28
Sunday June 23
Sunday June 14
Thursday June 10
*** AN IMPORTANT NOTICE ***
On Monday, Premier Ford announced that the Province of Ontario is launching Stage 2 in our region as of June 12, which includes various provisions – such as social gatherings of up to 10 people and places of worship having the ability to open with up to 30% capacity.
As Paul wrote to the Corinthians, “All things are lawful, but not all things are helpful.” (1 Corinthians 10:23a) Calvary Lutheran Church council has set up a COVID-19 advisory team and this group is actively researching all of the facts, laws and requirements for our congregation to move forward in the most Godly way, upholding the well-being of all people involved.
At this time, Calvary Lutheran Church will not have worship services in person. The Calvary Lutheran Church council, with the direction of the COVID-19 Advisory Team, will make the decision to reopen over time and with the benefit of observation and discernment over the next few weeks.
Until that time has arrived, we will continue to offer services of worship online. There will also be an update on various other important church business going out via mail next week.
Please address any concerns by email at email@example.com (Attention Church Council) or leave a message on the church answering machine at 623-8735.
In the Service of the Lord,
Wed. June 10
Posted June 8,2020
To Our Calvary Church
An open invitation
On Sunday Mornings a Zoom meeting was started by the Adult choir and is now open to anyone who would like to join us. We meet and share together the You Tube version of the Sunday service prepared by Pastor Brian at 10 am for the summer months.
Please feel free to join the service at 10 am and/or join after the service for a brief chat time with others at approximately 11 am.
It is by Zoom meeting. You do not need to have a Zoom account, but you do need to download the free zoom app from the invitation page. Once installed, the Zoom link remains available for future meetings.
Bill Vanderwater is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Time: This is a recurring meeting
Join Zoom Meeting
Sunday June 7, 2020
Lutheran Church Canada - Statement Concerning Racism.
Wed. June 3
Sunday May 31
In addition there is a sermon link on the sermons tab of this website (labelled May 26) from Reverend Ron Mohr who is the executive director of the Lutheran Bible Translators - Canada.
Wed. May 27
Sunday May 24
Wed. May 20
Sunday May 17
Wed. May 13
Sunday May 10th
Tuesday May 5
Bible Study for May 6th
Sunday May 3
Wed. April 29
Note: In the section labelled Church Activities - " Starting Sunday May 5th" should read Starting Sunday May 3rd.
Wed. April 29
Sunday April 26
Third Sunday of Easter Service
Tuesday April 29
Sunday April 19
Second Sunday of Easter
Portions of this service have been close captioned (hymns, responses, prayers)
Tuesday April 14
Note Bible Study Text & Questions can be found on the worship service text tab on this website.
Easter Sunday Service
Good Friday Service
Note:The services found on this website can also be found on the Calvary Lutheran Church Facebook page in the full You Tube Format.
A video tutorial to assist you in activating subtitles/close captions on your media player is available and can be found on the sermons tab of this website.
April 9th, 2020
Maundy Thursday Service -
This service can be found in video format by clicking on the sermons tab of this website. Portions of this service has been close captioned (hymns, responses, prayers).
You may require to have close captioning enabled in your Utube settings to activate this feature.
The associated service text can be found on the worship service text tab.
April 7th, 2020
A Message From Ben Grant, Council Chair
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ;
There are some important updates below concerning the ongoing operation and activities of Calvary Lutheran Church during this unprecedented time.
Church Council along with Pastor Brian met (via Zoom) on Thursday, April 2nd to review and discuss both church operations and our spiritual welfare as outlined below.
The church will remain closed for all activities through Sunday, May 3rd. Pastor Brian and I will continue to monitor both provincial and local government mandates and orders. Council will be updated the last week of April with the latest assessment of the status of our operations. An update will go out to the congregation near the end of April.
For the same period of time and for the health and safety of all members, the church will only be accessible by a limited number of people who are responsible for administration and for regular checks of our church building and property for insurance purposes.
If you need access to the church during this time, please call and leave a voicemail message with the church office or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Connie also continues to be in the office on Wednesday and Thursday mornings for administrative purposes.
Church Activities (At Home & Online)
Pastor Brian has now posted 2 worship services to Calvary’s Website (March 22nd and March 29th) that are available for viewing at home. They can also be accessed through the ‘Christ Thunder Bay’ YouTube Channel. These are the first two services Pastor Brian has ever done in an online video format. He has already found several ways to improve the online format from the first to the second one. Thank-you for those of you who have suggested ways of improving this format.
If you would like a sanitized copy of the Divine Worship II Hymnal, please call the church office to arrange a time with Connie to borrow a copy for use at home.
Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday worship services will all be available the morning of each of these days at: calvarythunderbay.ca/sermons
There will be no online Bible Studies Wednesday, April 8th or Wednesday, April 15th
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Corinthians 9:7)
● You can now use your online banking – Set up Calvary as an e-transfer option:
Name: Calvary Lutheran Church
● All offerings will be treated as envelope offerings and are subject to a charitable donation receipt. You will see an automated response that Calvary has received your offering.
● If you need assistance, please contact Mark Facca, Treasurer, at 621-2993 or email@example.com and he will be happy to help you
As we contemplate all that Christ has done for us this week, it is hard to believe that we will not be able to gather together in Christian love at Calvary to celebrate Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. May we all take comfort in Paul’s letter to the church of God in Corinth.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)
Sunday April 5 Palm Sunday
The worship service can be found on the sermon tab of this website or on the Calvary Facebook Page. Note: the hymn, liturgy and order of service information can be found by touching the "show more" tab.
Thursday April 2nd
Greetings and Blessings as we move
towards Holy Week.
I wanted to let you know that we will not be having Bible
Study this next week (April 8) as it is Holy Week and I am
preparing, recording, and uploading the services for
Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter
Sunday. You can find these services on our church website
- www.calvarythunderbay.ca or on the YouTube channel
"Christ Thunder Bay" or you can friend request our church's
private Facebook group.
There is also the possibility that we will not be having Bible Study
the following week (April 15) but I will update you on that by email
as soon as I know.
May you continue to know the Lord is with you!
P.S. Contact me if you need me. Thank you.
Sunday March 29
Today's Divine Service can be found on the sermon tab of this website or on the Calvary Facebook Page
March 26, 2020
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
With the recent news that our Ontario Parliament has instituted a “state of emergency” prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people (including places of worship) and further measures to get Canadians to stay at home to try and reduce the spread of the COVID-19, we were faced with a decision as a congregation about how to comply with these measures.
Our Lutheran Church-Canada (LCC) President’s Ministry Council also recommended that all LCC congregations temporarily suspend normal and ordinary worship services and other group events. This is not an easy decision to make.
On the one hand we want to be faithful to God and our worship of Him (1st and 3rd Commandments). On the other hand, we want to obey those in authority as well as protect our neighbours wellbeing (4th and 5th Commandments).
After much discussion and prayer, the following decision was put in place: We will shut our doors to worship and all gatherings until further notice. Simply put, that means all activities on our church calendar cannot occur in person. We have been working hard on making other ways of worship and hearing God’s Word available through online tools including a service that will be available for this Sunday. Go to calvarythunderbay.ca this weekend to access this. There are also other items such as confirmation classes (first virtual class took place this week) and bible studies that will also be available in this remote format. Email Pastor Brian to receive the bible study link information. firstname.lastname@example.org
We also want to provide physical and spiritual support for our members and those outside of our worshipping community at this time. Here are some of those resources and opportunities.
1. Pastor Brian is available on his cell phone (807-707-4080) for all regular communication from 9:00a.m.– 9:00p.m. and 24 hours a day for any pastoral emergencies. You can also reach him by email at email@example.com
2. There is a great resource to assist you in family or individual devotions and worship at home using the hymnal. Feel free to arrange a time by calling the church office at 623-8735 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to pick up a sanitized hymnal from the church to take home if you don’t already have one. You will be buzzed in at the office entrance to the church to ensure we comply with physical distancing.
3. In the event of a funeral, a private family interment service will be held at the graveside in the cemetery with a limit of 50 people. At a later date, a memorial service will take place – with a funeral luncheon, if desired.
4. For weddings and baptism that may arise, please contact the church office at 623-8735 for up to date information on how these can occur.
5. For those who need groceries, please phone the church office at 623-8735 and leave a message with the best way to get a hold of you. The messages will be checked once per day and arrangements will be made to get a grocery list and assist you the best we can. Once the total of the bill is known, you will be contacted so that you can reimburse the person(s) who will bring it to your door.
What can you as a faithful member of Christ do?
1. Pray, pray, pray. We have a great and gracious God who will see us through this tumultuous time.
2.Calvary Lutheran Church
“Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” ( 2 Corinthians 9:7)
YOUR GIVING MATTERS AT CALVARY
At Calvary, we value generosity and have some of the most amazing and generous people on the planet. Calvary now accepts e-transfers to support the work of the Lord and to help others.
Using your online banking –Set up Calvary as an e-transfer option:
Name : Calvary Lutheran Church
All offerings will be treated as envelope offerings and are subject to a charitable donation receipt. You will see an automated response that Calvary has received your offering.
3. If you have a suggestion for something we have overlooked, please contact the office.
We will endeavor to keep you up-to-date on any further developments through emails and our church website.
May God bless us as we continue to trust in Him and make Him known to our neighbours through our thoughts, words, and actions.
In the Arms of our Lord,
Pastor Brian Ben Grant
(on behalf of the Church Council)
V iruses, and
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.
Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord
Verse your God is with you wherever you go.”